Customer Forum Home Page

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What can I do to help my child understand rhyming?

Rhyming is developmental. Children usually learn rhyme between the ages of 3 and 6. Reading nursery rhymes to your child is a very old activity that is still fun and helps children learn rhyme. Make it fun using songs, books and games. Dr. Seuss has many fun stories, as well as many other authors. There are also many fun and engaging rhyming activities on the internet.

Rhyming is a precursor to reading and must be learned. Preschool students should be able to hear and supply rhymes before going to kindergarten. When children learn to rhyme they usually will make rhymes using nonsense words and that is okay however, eventually you want the words to be real words. Modeling for you child is helpful. This skill can be practiced by teaching basic word families, using games and reading stories. This is also a skill that can be practiced when driving in the car or before tucking your child into bed.

These are helpful tips. Young children love to rhyme and its easy to model for them. It seems like nursery rhymes are not taught in school like they use to be?

I would continue to model rhyming for your child. You say pairs of words that rhyme and ones that don't rhyme and see if they can hear a difference. We also sell simple rhyming games that can be purchased to learn this skill.