Customer Forum Home Page

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Strategies for a successful summer reading program.

Summer is around the corner, and every parent is wondering how to keep their children occupied and out of trouble. It's easy to let them loose on the internet, but the real challenge is getting them to read. It's time to step up your game and make reading more exciting. Ditch the boring old books and get some that will pique your child's interest. From graphic novels to Minecraft adventures, you can't go wrong with something that aligns with their passions. Use the carrot and stick method. Set a target for the number of books or pages your child should read over the summer and reward them when they meet their goal. It could be a trip to their favorite restaurant or a special outing. Who doesn't love a little friendly competition? Make reading a fun competition between siblings or friends. Set up a scoreboard to keep track of who's reading the most books or pages. Get tech-savvy: Kids are all about technology these days, and you can use this to your advantage. Get them interactive ebooks or articles that they can read online. Not only will this make reading more exciting, but they'll also be learning about new things. Kids learn from their parents. Show them how cool reading is by doing it yourself. Make reading a family activity, and have everyone cozy up with their favorite book.

Waiting to bedtime doesn't work. Summer schedules are to busy, my kids have no energy at the end of the day.

Here are five strategies for having a successful summer reading program that work.

1. Set reading goals: Encourage your child to set reading goals for the summer. This can help to motivate them and provide a sense of accomplishment when they achieve their goals. Make sure the goals are challenging but attainable, and offer rewards for reaching them.
  2. Make reading fun: Summer reading should be enjoyable and engaging. Let your child choose books that they are interested in, and encourage them to read in different places, such as in the park or on the beach. Consider joining a summer reading program at your local library, which often includes fun activities and incentives for reading.
  3. Create a reading routine: Establish a regular reading routine that fits your child's schedule and preferences. This can help to create a sense of structure and consistency, and make reading a regular part of their daily routine.
  4. Encourage discussion: Encourage your child to discuss what they are reading with you or with friends. This can help to deepen their understanding of the material and develop their critical thinking skills. Consider starting a book club with other families or with your child's friends.
  5. Model reading behavior: Children often emulate the behavior of their parents and caregivers, so make sure to model good reading habits yourself. Set aside time for your own reading, and let your child see you enjoying books. This can help to reinforce the importance of reading and create a positive reading culture in your home.

Nancy these are great summer tips! Kids need to be excited about reading and making the goals attainable and fun is more appealing. I love the idea of a goal and when the goal is achieved the child can get a small reward. I also like having the whole family be on board with everyone reading at the same time as this sets a good example!

Setting the expectations for summer reading are essential and these are great ideas. I agree with you Becky that waiting until bedtime is too late in the day. I also love the idea of setting a goal for your child so they are motivated to read over the summer. I think kids also enjoy using reading apps like RAZ-KIDS to read and answer comprehension questions.

Joan

Getting kids excited about summer reading should be easy. These are great ideas to keep kids excited and motivated to keep reading. I love the idea of making a family goal and recording how many books each family member has read. This is a great way to model reading for your children and a great family activity.

These are great ideas and recommendations for summer reading. I think the family time where everyone is reading together and you as the parents can model good reading behavior is fantastic for your children to see.

These are great literacy habits to continue throughout the school year as well to keep your students motivated and moving forward.