Customer Forum Home Page

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Should my child learn the names of the letters first or the letter sounds?

While there is research to support both sides, typically the child learns the letters first and then the sounds. The Phonics Dance! Official Video of the Kindergarten Alphabet is a fun way to learn the letters and their sounds together.

Ok Thanks! My child loves The Phonics Dance Video on UTube.

I tried the web site Starfall that you have listed under Kindergarten,  Skill #1 and found a lot of fun activities for my child to help with learning letters and letter sounds.

Thank you Susan and Becky for your input. I am sure this will be beneficial to other members. I am glad to see you are using the web sites I have provided. These have been proven to be helpful to many parents over the years and especially fun for the student to learn new skills in a fun format.

Young children should be taught the letter names then the associated sounds. I agree the phonics dance is a fun and interactive way to learn this skill in addition to other literacy games.

I have also found the websites to be extremely helpful Nancy. The extra resources are great!

Great Sarah! Teach the letter names first then once those are learned then move on and learn the letter sounds. It's important to remember this is a process and takes time. These skills can be inconsistent in the beginning so be patient.